Top Spring-Blooming Perennials
Are you ready to shake off those late-winter blues and leap into Spring? Then come on down to Crocker Nurseries on March 26th, 27th and 28th from 8am – 5pm for our annual Perennial Sale and get 20% off all our perennials and some early annuals. Come feast your eyes on many fresh new perennial varieties as well as all of your old favorites! From early Spring bloomers to vibrant Fall favorites, infuse your garden with color all season long!
Here are some of our favorite early-to-mid Spring bloomers to kick off the season and start your garden off right:
* Aqueligua ‘Canadensis’ (Columbine) – a yellow and red native wildflower that grows 24-36” tall and prefers full sun to part shade. Its vibrant flowers also attract humming birds.
* Baptisia australis (Blue False Indigo)- Voted 2010 Plant of the Year! This is an easy-to-grow native plant that provides four seasons of interest. In the Spring it will produce long indigo-blue spiking blooms then in the Summer its blue-green foliage provides a beautiful backdrop to other plants in the garden. After the blooms have gone by they are replaced with 2-3” puffy seed pods, which start out green but gradually turn black in late summer and fall and then stay on the plant in to the winter. This plant grows to 3-4 feet both tall and wide and prefers full sun to partial shade. It tolerates average to poor soil as long as it is well drained and is drought tolerant once established. (Pictured to the left)
* Brunnera ‘Jack Frost’ (Siberian Bugloss) – A stunning perennial for shady areas with blue forget-me-not like flowers. It does best in rich, moist soil and will grow to be 12-15” tall. (Pictured to the right)
* Clematis ‘Montana Rubens’ – This Spring-blooming Clematis is a massive climber growing 20-30ft when mature with 2″ pastel pink blossoms offset by dark green foliage. It prefers rich soil and will grow in full sun to part shade.
* Iberis ‘Snowflake’(Candytuft) – A delicate evergreen leaf with daintywhite flowers in Springtime. This plant grows to about 6-8” tall and prefers full sun. It also attracts butterflies.
* Epimedium ‘Orange Queen’ (Bishop’s Cap) – Excellent for deep shade under trees where few others will perform. With its warm copper-orange flowers it is a spectacular groundcover!
* Iris Germanica ‘Best Bet’ – Beautiful two-toned blue rebloomer and hardy in dry conditions. It prefers full sun and will grow 16-18” wide with stems reaching 30-40” tall.
* Kniphofia ‘Alcazar’ (Torch Lily) – New variety! Strong tangerine-red flowers have an exceptional bloom time and will also re-bloom! This plant needs full sun and will grow 36-40”. (Pictured to the left)
Need a striking focal point for your garden? Helleborus is one of the most enchanting Spring bloomers. Come see our new varieties today!
Looking for inspiring groundcovers? This year, check out the new Mat Daisy, Anacyclus, a dense low-grower with white, daisy-like flowers reminiscent of a quaint cottage garden. You will also find new varieties of English Daisies, Sweet William and Ajuga, as well as a new yellow Delosperma–a splash of sunshine on a traditional ice plant!
Get a jump-start on the Spring planting season by spicing up your perennial garden today!
I look forward to meeting you at the sale and answering any questions you
Your new perennial manager,